Monday, June 21, 2010

Artisan blah in 5 minutes

Oh... thats why it takes artisans longer than 5 minutes to make bread...
I made some of the olive oil dough from the book and made prosciutto flatbread... not so great.

1) the bread isn't really flat it is more of a foccacia (the directions said to leave it an inch thick),
2) The bread itself is much lacking in flavor,
3) the crust is burnt on the bottom but pale on top, perhaps partially do to my cooking technique, but I did follow the directions in the recipe it was not crisp last night and now after having it sealed away overnight it ahs absorbed some moisture and is just an impediment to getting to the prosciutto inside
4) The extremely wet dough advocated in the book is very difficult to work with.

If I had to say something nice I would say that the crumb of the bread is actually not bad which lends me hope that some other types of bread could turn out ok. My plan is to try the olive oil dough again in some manner of pizza to see if it is any good in that regard. I will also suspend judgement on the technique until I make the classic dough and make a boule, a baguette, and perhaps some sandwich bread. Likewise I guess I should try one of their enriched breads as well to see if the technique can work for dessert breads and pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment